How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lev-tax Your Own Question
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 29964
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
lev-tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm a federal employee hired after 1985 and therefore covered

Customer Question

I'm a federal employee hired after 1985 and therefore covered under FERS. I have 25 years of substantial earnings under social security. The Social Security Website states Federal employees hired after 1985 are exempt from the WEP. Yet, I will have a small foreign pension due to living and working in another country a long tome ago. Will my foreign pension be subject to the WEP?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Retirement Accountant about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.
Your social security benefits will be subject to WEP due to be eligible for a foreign pension and because that earnings were not covered under the US social security system.The SSA won’t reduce your Social Security benefit amounts if you performed federal service under a system such as the Federal Employees’ Retirement System (FERS). Social Security taxes are withheld for workers under FERS.To be fully exempt from WEP - you should have 30 or more years of substantial earnings under Social Security.
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.
If you think your pension will affect your Social Security benefit, you can•Look at our WEP chart to see how WEP affects Social Security benefits.•Use our WEP Online Calculator or download our Detailed Calculator to see how your benefit may be reduced by WEP. me know if that works for you?