How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Angie Your Own Question
Angie, Tax Preparer
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 226
Experience:  Bookkeeping, Profit and Loss, Balance SheetsAll types of US Taxes, Tennessee taxes, Personal, business, payroll, sales tax etc.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Angie is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am currently on SSDI. I am 54 years old and trying to

Customer Question

I am currently on SSDI. I am 54 years old and trying to switch careers. I have health issues that I am working on to fix,
In the year 2001 I filed my IRS tax return for the Mortgage operation I was The licensed real estate broker for. I was closing down and moving. I had many licensees who I paid commission to. I was doing this all alone. I had to move home because my mother had cancer surgery. I am the only child, relative, friend. I failed to send in the year 2000 California FTC
and I owed $200. at the time. I was filing Chapter 7 because I was a schedule C business owner at that time. There was much business conducted around my knowledge and payments were made to my licensees directly. So to stop the fraud I filed chapter 7. Now, I have to file a tax return for the year 2000 and i have no information for that year. The IRS has not responded to my request for a copy of my 2000 year filing. The franchise tax board has some 1099 income statements from the banks I did business with. But the dont have the commissions and expenses I paid out like for office rent. They are now charging me over $4,000.00 dollars. How do I file a year 2000 ca tax return I have no back up documents for?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Angie replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry for your predicament. You will not be able to get the copy from the IRS, as they only provide copies and transcripts for the current tax year and 6 years prior. If you have access to the bank statements from that year, you can "rebuild" some of your expenses from that. If you used a paid tax prep service,you may contact them and ask if they would have a copy of the return from that many years ago.... the chances are not high that they will because most preparers also only keep copies for 7 years. Alternately, you can contact the companies that you did business with (landlord, utilties etc) and use the "provable" items that you can come up with as expenses. You are in a difficult spot and my answer probably isn't the one that you wanted, however because no return was ever filed, there is no statute of limitations that you can fall back on and the absence of a return allows them to assess you the $4000. If you kept any paperwork that could be stored away in attics, basements, storage units etc, it would greatly benefit you to find sift through those items to see if you can find anything that you can use on this return.