How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 2981
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was getting money form social security as did my

Customer Question

For years I was getting money form social security as did my dad because he turned 62 in 2008. In 2013 I started a full-time job and to my understanding since I was paying a tax to social security I thought they knew I was working. No I still received a disability check until May 2015 whereas my father received his retirement check until November 2015. In August of last year we received a note saying I owed between $10,000 & $11,000 and a few months ago while on the their website we discovered that they are trying to get us to repay almost $15000 of the retirement money my dad received when we assumed they stop his retirement check because he started working again. We have tried calling, sending in letters and emailing but we can never get ahold of anybody and we have no idea what to do please help.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. There are two issues here. (1) you working while still receiving disability. Just because you are paying into Social Security does not give SSDI notice. You are required to give SSDI notice that you are working and there are certain programs that are available that can transition you into working and still receiving SSDI. You have to give SSDI notice to take advantage of these. This money will have to be paid back and you can set up a payment plan but since you accepted the checks and no longer qualified for SSDI, you will have to pay back the monies you received during this time. (2) if your father was not of full retirement age, and is instead ages 62-65, he will be subject to the earned income penalty. ONE SHOULD NEVER FILE FOR EARLY RETIREMENT IF ONE IS EARNING A SIGNIFICANT INCOME. SSA penalizes your father's benefit $1 for every $2 earned over $15,720 in 2016. Any penalties assessed against his benefit will have to be paid back. This can be deducted from his current SSA retirement benefit but it must be repaid. You need to speak to SSA and figure out how you can repay these monies. See link for various forms of contact: Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?