How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lev-tax Your Own Question
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 29558
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
lev-tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I began having seizures on May 27, 2015. I had a brain tumor

Customer Question

I began having seizures on May 27, 2015. I had a brain tumor removed on July 10, 2015. I am continuing having seizures. The doctors don't know what is causing them. I cannot drive. I cannot work. I can't be alone. Do I qualify for SSI?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.
You might qualify for disability - if you do - you may start disability social security benefits and if your benefits are below certain level - you may apply for SSI - Supplemental Security Income.However - your first step is to discuss with your doctor if you may be classified as disabled and file an application..Social Security Disability Insurance pays benefits to you and certain members of your family if you are "insured," meaning that you worked long enough and paid Social Security taxes.Supplemental Security Income pays benefits based on financial need..The definition of disability under Social Security is different than other programs. Social Security pays only for total disability. No benefits are payable for partial disability or for short-term disability."Disability" under Social Security is based on your inability to work. We consider you disabled under Social Security rules if:You cannot do work that you did before;We decide that you cannot adjust to other work because of your medical condition(s); andYour disability has lasted or is expected to last for at least one year or to result in death.This is a strict definition of disability.Questions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.
You should apply for disability benefits as soon as you become disabled. If you are ready to apply now, you can:Complete your application online.Call our toll-free telephone number 1-***-***-****. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, you can call us at TTY 1-***-***-****.Call or visit your local Social Security office.Claims for disability benefits take more time to process than other types of Social Security claims -- from 3 to 5 months.You can help shorten the process by having certain information and documents with you when you apply, and by helping the SSA to get any other medical evidence you need to show that you are disabled.Let me know if you need any help.
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.
Many people wonder how the SSA figures their Social Security retirement benefit.The Social Security Administration bases Social Security benefits on your lifetime earnings.They adjust or index your actual earnings to account for changes in average wages since the year the earnings were received.Then Social Security calculates your average indexed monthly earnings during the 35 years in which you earned the most.And after that - they apply a formula to these earnings and arrive at your basic benefit, or primary insurance amount.This is how much you would receive at your full retirement age.So depending on your earning record - it is possible that there are some missing years or earning.Also additional years of earning might increase your benefits.If so - that could affect your social security benefit calculations and you may contact the Social Security Administration and verify if all information is correct.Following publication might be helpful for better understanding the calculations. me know if you need any clarification this matter..I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all tax related issues.