How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 2983
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What are the qualifications required to get the extra payments

Customer Question

What are the qualifications required to get the extra payments a year (I was born in 1928).
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.
Hi Elizabeth. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you. The requirements are age between 62 and 70 and be eligible for spousal benefits. I would strongly suggest to stay away from websites claiming to give you information but you need to buy a book, membership or otherwise pay upfront.By taking certain steps to adjust how you and your spouse collect socials security (mainly to postpone it until 70) you could possible increase your combined social security by as much as 60k but those calculations are based on ideal conditions in a ideal world. Only very little percentage, if any could truly get it. It is not necessary a scam but very unrealistic and for most people not doable.Basically, social security is eliminating certain SS benefits; file and suspend and spousal benefits. To file and suspend (claim and immediately suspend your benefits until 70) you would have to be at your full retirement age, and calculation to work, your spouse would have to file for her spousal at her full retirement age and wait for her own until 70. The calculation is based on expectation that you wait as long as possible to start collecting your benefits and you are entitled to most of the benefits you could possibly get (meaning you made 100K+ for most of your earning years).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is not what I was asking. My husband is deceased. I was asking how I could get that extra money amounting to $60,000. as I was born in 1928. I don't feel you answered my question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not want to call you. I can't afford to pay $52.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if you are getting my messages.
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry but you didn't say anything about your deceased husband in your previous post. At the age of 87 your only option is spousal or widower benefits. This could be between 30 - 50% of your spouse's benefits.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not feel as though this is worth $32.00
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to disappoint you but what you may seen on internet or TV is mostly heavily exaggerated and often not true. I do not have any control over the billing, you will need to contact customer service.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already know I don't quality for widow or spousal benefits because I have my own benefits. What is customer service phone number?
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
New expert here. My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. If you are currently a widow, already receiving your benefits and past mandatory retirement age, these changes do not apply to you. Many websites have taken hold of this new change, and found an opportunity to try to take advantage of older Americans and try to convince them that there are "free" benefits available. This is not the case, there are only certain planning loopholes that are being closed. There is no $60,000 out there to add to your benefits, I'm sorry, but it is simply not there. See below for the summary of changes and as you will see, it does not apply to you: There has been a lot of misinformation out there regarding HR 1314. The changes made in the bipartisan act are being hyped in the media but it is only a small loophole that is being closed. It is not a magical lump sum of $60,000 that has to be elected or banned benefits that you will lose. It deals with "file and suspend" spousal benefits and the "restricted benefit". Let me explain, a spouse can only take the spousal benefit if the other spouse has elected to take their benefit. Currently the law is changing and a "suspend and file" cannot be elected starting on may 1, 2016. In this circumstance at full retirement age (66) one could file and suspend their benefits and continue earning credits until age 70 and their spouse could elect to take the spousal benefit. The spousal benefit can be as much as half of the worker's "primary insurance amount," depending on the spouse's age at retirement. If the spouse begins receiving benefits before "normal (or full) retirement age," the spouse will receive a reduced benefit. However, if a spouse is caring for a qualifying child, the spousal benefit is not reduced. Also the "restricted benefit" is being eliminated. If you turned age 62 by December 31, 2015, you would be grandfathered in and at full retirement age you will still be able to restrict your benefit. This means that if you or your spouse would like to elect to take only the spousal benefit as opposed to your normal retirement benefit, you can restrict your election to ONLY the spousal benefit. This would allow you to collect the 50% spousal benefit while still gaining credits to your normal retirement benefit from ages 66-70 (the credit increases your benefit approximately 8% per year). After the law changes, at full retirement age, you would have to take the higher of the spousal benefit and your retirement benefit. You can no longer choose just the spousal and let your normal retirement benefit grow while still take the spousal benefit. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?