Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

I saw a presentation on line this evening that there are

Customer Question
added benefits for Social Security...
I saw a presentation on line this evening that there are added benefits for Social Security recipients . I became eligible for SS in February when I turned 65. I was receiving benefits from SS Disability until then. Are there added benefits available for me?
Douglas *. ****, **
8610 Queensmere Pl
#2
Henrico, VA 23294
(###) ###-####
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Social Security
4/28/2016
Social Security Expert: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 1 year ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Unfortunately, the information that you received is not accurate. If you are already collecting benefits, the new law that goes into effect on April 30, 2016, does not affect you. The new law will not take away your benefits or any benefits that you are entitled to. The new law on the other hand will not give you additional benefits. The new law essentially deals with two strategies some retirees were using to maximize their benefits namely: file and suspend and restricted spousal application. File and suspend deals with when both husband and wife have reached their full retirement age. One would file and suspend his benefits so that the other would apply for spousal benefits only. Then the other spouse would apply for benefits when he reaches age 70. This would maximize their benefits. Under the new law, this loophole has been closed. So, when a spouse files and suspends, all benefits would be suspended preventing his spouse from applying under his earnings. The other one is restricted spousal application where one spouse who has reached full retirement age can elect just to apply for spousal benefits only and then apply for her own benefits later. This would no longer be allowed for any one that has not turned age 62 by the end of December 2015. So, the new law does not affect you and there is nothing for you to do. For more information, click on the links below: https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/suspend.html https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/applying6.html Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My answer was concise and very understandable. The reply was prompt. Thank you for your service.
Sincerely,
Douglas M. York, Jr. ***@******.***
You are quite Welcome! Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law