Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

I'm a widow who had applied and denied before

Customer Question

I'm a widow who had applied for disability and denied before my husband passed away due to the fact that it had been to many years since my last date of employment. When my husband passed away I was then granted SS widows disability. My question....If I remarry to a man in Canada will I still receive my SS disability?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Do you mean still receive SS survivor benefits? How old are you?
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. You will still be able to take SS disability if you move to Canada but you cannot take both disability and the survivor benefit. You will get the higher of the two benefits. If you remarry before the age of 60 then you will lose the survivor benefit. If after, you can continue to receive these survivor benefits. If you lose your survivor benefits, you can take the SSDI benefits if you still qualify. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?