How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 2983
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 75 yr old disabled retiree and I need to know about

Customer Question

I am 75 yr old disabled retiree and I need to know about "Budget Act, Section 831 reform
I need to know that a $60,000.00 amount is being given over the retirees life spam.
I keep hearing about this but no one knows how to get the proper form requesting this money. Could you be able to help me out???
also My Xhusband was a vet. and my youngest daughter is a Special challenge young lady.
I was told that he should have been responsible for my daughter in receiving some money from his Disability Check??? (of course she living with me but I have no idea I could have
collected on his SSDI) (to be honest I never received child support for his 5 children)
He has passed away about 8 yrs ago. My SS####-##-####
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. There is no $60,000 benefit out there for retirees. The Budget act, section 831 reform is the bipartisan act or HR 1314. See link: only relates to the spousal benefit and the "file and suspend" and the "restricted benefit". Since you are age 75, this has nothing to do with you. It will not help or hurt you. There is no form to fill out and it is just a normal retirement application where you insert either, "I want to file and suspend" or "I want to restrict my benefit" in the comments section. See SSA link for explanation: the SSA website:"Note: Effective April 30, 2016:We will no longer permit suspension of retroactive benefits in situations where you apply for benefits and we have not yet made a determination regarding your entitlement.If you voluntarily suspend your retirement benefit and you have others who receive benefits on your record, they will not be able to receive benefits for the same period that your benefits are suspended. Please note that there is one exception; divorced spouse’s will be able to continue receiving benefits.If you voluntarily suspend your retirement benefit, any benefits you receive on someone else’s record will also be suspended. Your Part B premiums cannot be deducted from your suspended benefits.If you request voluntary suspension on or after April 30, 2016, we will only permit benefit reinstatement beginning with the month after the month of your request" If your daughter was age 22 or before when she was disabled then she would be eligible for a 50% benefit based on either you or your spouse. If she already gets benefits, it would be the higher of her own benefit and these children benefits. You can still collect a spousal benefit (this is 50% of your benefit) if it is higher than your own benefit. You do not receive both. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?