Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

I receive social security disability benefits and was wondering

Customer Question
if when my husband and...
I receive social security disability benefits and was wondering if when my husband and I decide to retire if we move to a different state does my disability benefits change? I wonder this because of different cost of living rates in different states.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Social Security
4/27/2016
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 1 year ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Your social security benefits (including disability benefits) will be the SAME - regardless where you live.You may not just increase your benefits because you need more money...There are additional government benefits that are based on needs - housing assistance program, Food Stamps, Supplemental Security Income, etc - and these benefits may vary for different states.But.
..Many people wonder how the SSA figures their Social Security retirement benefit.The Social Security Administration bases Social Security benefits on your lifetime earnings.They adjust or index your actual earnings to account for changes in average wages since the year the earnings were received.Then Social Security calculates your average indexed monthly earnings during the 35 years in which you earned the most.And after that - they apply a formula to these earnings and arrive at your basic benefit, or primary insurance amount.This is how much you would receive at your full retirement age.So depending on your earning record - it is possible that there are some missing years or earning.Also additional years of earning might increase your benefits.If so - that could affect your social security benefit calculations and you may contact the Social Security Administration and verify if all information is correct.Following publication might be helpful for better understanding the calculations.https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10070.pdf.I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all tax related issues.
lev-tax
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor