How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3441
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 64, receiving SS disability 1/2 years. My husband

Customer Question

I am 64, receiving SS disability for 2 1/2 years. My husband retired at 65, soon will be 67. Can I suspend my disability, elect to take spousal benefits under him, and start full retirement benefits on my own account at age 70? If so, how do I do this before the deadline?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you. You cannot suspend your benefits until your full retirement age and because you are already collecting your benefits for more than 12 you will not be able to do so. You can switch to spousal benefits if you husband is already receiving his benefits but you will not get your full benefits at 70. When you start collecting your benefits before you full retirement age, your own and your spousal benefits are permanently reduced. That's the penalty for taking your benefits early.