Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

We had received information that seniors could get a support

Customer Question
payment of $60,000 this year...
We had received information that seniors could get a support payment of $60,000 this year only ending on April 30th. Is this a valid offer?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Social Security
4/26/2016
Social Security Expert: Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney replied 1 year ago
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Hi, my name is***** and I am here to assist you. I am a social security attorney in my private practice – that is ALL I do. Please let me know that my post here is coming through for you by typing a quick reply.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's perfect
The offer is generally not valid, unfortunately. Here is what has occurred: In the past, and up til 4/30, some retirees could file for their benefits (even if they didn't want to collect), for the sole reason of triggering their spouses to be able to collect an SS benefit on that worker retiree's work record. Once the worker filed, he would "suspend" his own benefit, because he never wanted to collect it that early anyway. Rather, he wanted to "delay" his own so that it would grow 32% bigger between the age of 66 and 70. Continuing....
The new law signed in by President Obama lasts fall, did the following: As of 5/1, all "suspensions" of retirees of their own benefits (so they can grow from 66+ to 70) will also suspend the spousal or other dependent benefits paid off of that work record. In other words, all suspensions will not be blanket suspensions.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Social Security laws can be confusing. My husband and I are over 65 years old and collecting social security. The way the information regarding this was sent out, it sounded as if additional funds could be added to those already collecting SSN.
So what is lost is that 1/2 of the couple that used to be able to potentially get paid 1250 x 48 month in spousal benefit, while the other spouse is NOT collecting, can no longer collect that unless the worker spouse does the file and suspend before end of April. It is a rude awakening for those counting on that 60k coming in to support present or future retirement. That nest egg potential is gone.
Yes, there have been many unethicals on the net seeking to persuade people to buy their e-article by suggesting that if they don't, they will miss out on a free 60k being offered. Rather, nothing has been offered additional by our government, but prior existing strategies of claiming are being eliminated.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Anyone who can understand tax laws is a genius. Can you expand on your answer to reflect that we are probably not eligible for this?
Yes, I can.
How old are each of you?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My husband is 75 and I'm 77
Thank you. OK, here is how you know you can't use this brief window remaining, to use the old strategy of file and suspend. First, neither one of you would want to suspend, right? I mean, you suspend, you get no benefits AND, it can't be done after age 70. It is done SOLELY to delay benefits so one's benefit amount can grow between the ages of 66 and 70. We can't legally suspend before age 66 (or whatever our FRA is), nor can we stop them after age 70. So, neither of you can suspend. Moreover, remember the purpose of filing and suspending to was to FILE so a spouse could collect a spousal benefit. If you are not currently collecting a spousal benefit, you do not want to, as your own is likely far bigger and the SSA will only give you the biggest benefit you are eligible for, it won't give you both your own plus a spousal amount. But in any event, you would not want to go from your current amount to a spousal amount which is only 35-50% of your spouse's amount. If for some reason a glitch was made in the past, you had a small benefit, say $500, and your spousal would be, say, $750, then you would want to go to the SSA and ask about switching to spousal - but this is always your right - there is no deadline and nothing to do with the new effect of suspending that starts 5/1.
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it. Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.Your online SS legal resource!
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq