How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3441
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question about my SS that no one seems able to answer...I

Customer Question

I have a question about my SS that no one seems able to answer...I turned 62 in June 2014.That year my income was $17,789 so I didn't get my first check until 9/2014..the amount was about $1607. I had to estimate for 2015 so I just said $18,000 I got a letter that they were going to withhold the 1/2015 check so I called and said I wasn't going over the amount allowed so they didn't withhold that time I asked when I get the withheld money back they didn't know but I got a one time payment for $182. so far they have withheld $1,425..this year I am estimating that I will make $20,000 so if I do I figure they will withhold 2 checks of abt $1634 each, (total of $2,140) so bot***** *****ne is they keep withholding but do I ever get this back and when? The people who work there have no idea. Also since I continue to work shouldn't my benefit be going up since I am still paying into SS?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
Hi,...Likely the reason they'e confused is that you don't,exactly, get it back ... and your second question is part of the answer to your first question....Social Security actually has a pretty good explanation of this on their are the two most pertinent paragraphs:...Also, as long as you continue to work and receive benefits, we will check your record every year to see whether the additional earnings will increase your monthly benefit. If there is an increase, we will send you a letter telling you of your new benefit amount....In addition, after you reach full retirement age, we will recalculate your benefit amount to give you credit for any months in which you did not receive a benefit because of your earnings. We will send you a letter telling you about any increase in your benefit amount.
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
Here's the site ... there are some very good examples there... I think reading through it will help:...