How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lev-tax Your Own Question
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 29796
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
lev-tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If you file and suspends and one spouse gets spousal

Customer Question

If you file and suspends and one spouse gets spousal benefits, do you have to wait until 70 years old to receive benefits or can you undo the suspend at any time?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.
You can start your benefits at any time after you voluntarily suspended your social security benefits.
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.
Please see here you have reached full retirement age, but are not yet age 70, you can ask us to suspend retirement benefit payments. If you apply for benefits and we have not yet made a determination that you are entitled, you may voluntarily suspend benefits for any month for which you have not received a payment. Your request to suspend benefits may include all months for which you might be due a benefit.If you are already entitled to benefits, you may voluntarily suspend retirement benefit payments up to age 70 beginning with the month after the month when you make the request.Reminder: We pay Social Security benefits the month after they are due. If you contact us in June and request that we suspend benefits, you will still receive your June benefit payment in July.You do not have to sign your request to suspend benefit payments. You may ask us orally or in writing. If your benefit payments are suspended, they will start automatically the month you reach age 70.If you change your mind and want the payments to start before age 70, just tell us when you want your benefits reinstated (orally or in writing). Your request may include benefits for any months when your payments were suspendedIf you started receiving Social Security benefits less than 12 months ago and you changed your mind about when they should start, you may be able to withdraw your Social Security claim and re-apply at a future date.If your request is approved, you must repay all the benefits you and your family received based on your retirement application.Note: Effective April 30, 2016:We will no longer permit suspension of retroactive benefits in situations where you apply for benefits and we have not yet made a determination regarding your entitlement.If you voluntarily suspend your retirement benefit and you have others who receive benefits on your record, they will not be able to receive benefits for the same period that your benefits are suspended. Please note that there is one exception; divorced spouse’s will be able to continue receiving benefits.If you voluntarily suspend your retirement benefit, any benefits you receive on someone else’s record will also be suspended. Your Part B premiums cannot be deducted from your suspended benefits.If you request voluntary suspension on or after April 30, 2016, we will only permit benefit reinstatement beginning with the month after the month of your request.I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all tax related issues.