How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 12046
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have received a letter from SSA asking me if i have retired

Customer Question

i have received a letter from SSA asking me if i have retired and started receiving a government pension based on earnings no covered by social security. i have never worked for the goverment
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
Hi,...I would go to the local Social Security office (call first to set an appointment). This could very possibly be a mistake....The most common systems that don't pay into social security (but do have their own typically very good pensions) are state or local government agency, including a school system, college or university.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already have an appointment
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
Good. Although a headache, this sounds like a mistake and needs to be corrected....Did your spouse possibly work for an employer not paying into the system? (Wouldn't affect your own record but could possibly affect spousal benefits)
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
Did you see my question ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I am not married and no ex spouse has worked for the government
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
OK, just wanted to cover the bases....Again, going in is the best way (and get some written confirmation) to be sure they don't apply the WEP (Windfall Elimination Provision) to reduce or offset social security...I hope this has helped....Please let me know if you have any questions at all....If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the faces or stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit")...JustAnswer will not credit me for the time and work until you have rated in this way....Thank you!Lane……I hold a law degree (JD, Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, both for-profit and non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.