Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I am 79 years and I have not spoken with a representative in

Customer Question

I am 79 years and I have not spoken with a representative in 17 years! I would like to know that I am getting all the Benefits I am entitled to receive. I am Kenneth W. Sprayberry, and my "E" mail is [email protected] I would like to know that I am receiving all the benefits that I Should receive. My phone number is ***-***-****.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kenneth,...At age 79 (unless something were missing from your work record, which would have been a problem all along) you ARE receiving all the benefits that you should receive....Last fall, the Bipartisan Budget Act of 2015 changed the rules to eliminate two popular Social Security claiming strategies for married couples: File-and-Suspend, and Restricted Application, and the deadline for using one of those strategies, is April 29th...But this only affects couples, and only couples reaching full retirement age by that deadline....April 30th is the first day of the new rules for Voluntary Suspensions, aka “File and Suspend”; the 29th is the final day to request a suspension under the old rules....There is one primary difference between the old and the new rules: if you suspend under the new rules, your spouse will be ineligible to claim spousal benefits while your benefit is in suspense. If you suspend under the old rules, while your benefit is in suspense, spouses and other auxiliaries can still collect benefits based on your work record....so being PAST age 70 the latest age to which someone can suspend, you are not effected at all
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
I hope this has helped....Please let me know if you have any questions at all....If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the faces or stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit")...JustAnswer will not credit me for the time and work until you have rated in this way....Thank you!Lane……I hold a law degree (JD, Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, both for-profit and non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986