How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lev-tax Your Own Question
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 29918
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
lev-tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 70 and am collecting SS; my husband is 62 and does not

Customer Question

I am 70 and am collecting SS; my husband is 62 and does not draw; can we utilize the loophole which expires on Friday so that I can draw from his. He is still working.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.
Yes - that is possible - you may choose to receive social security benefits based on your spouse working record - if your spousal benefits are larger than yours.
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.
To do that - your spouse should file his application for benefits and suspend it right after that - and you do need to act fast as that option is eliminated starting May 1. 2016.Let me know your zip code - and I will find the closest social security office so you may do that today...I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all tax related issues.