Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

I am inquiring about spousal adjustment to my social security.

Customer Question
My birthdate is before 1954...
I am inquiring about spousal adjustment to my social security. My birthdate is before 1954 - I filed early and have been receiving the amount based upon my earnings. Never was it discussed that I could get my husbands amount instead.
What qualifies me to be "grandfathered", under the old rules, to file a restricted application for spousal benefits?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Social Security
4/24/2016
Social Security Expert: emc011075, Tax Adviser replied 1 year ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you. Spousal adjustment is in fact not a term a social security worker would normally use to refer to spousal benefits. It only means that your benefits will be calculated on your spouses records, not on yours. If you applied for your benefits early, you would get about 30 - 40% of his benefits, depending on how soon you applied for your benefits. The fact that you applied for your benefits early will disqualify you from filing restricted application. Restricted application is only available to applicants who wait until their full retirement age to apply for their benefits. Grandfathered in this case means that if you were 62 at the end of the year the upcoming changes will not affect your benefits or your choices.
dylatess
dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY