Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I became a widow at age 39 yrs old

Customer Question

I became a widow at age 39 yrs old, my husband was 40 yrs old at the time of his death. A few years later when I was 42 years old I became disabled. I thought I remember reading something from Social Security that if I was widowed and disabled at the age of 50 years I could draw money from my husband's Social Security. Is there any truth to this?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. Yes, you can start drawing a survivor benefit as early as age 50 if you are disabled. You can get 71.5% of your deceased spouse's benefit if he was eligible to receive a SS benefit through work. See link: https://www.ssa.gov/planners/survivors/ifyou5.html Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do receive Social Security Disability now from the years I worked. Can I receive both or just one. My income was higher so I draw my disability.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you receive my reply?
You can only receive 1 and not both. You can only get the higher of the two benefits as they do not stack.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was a nurse for 23 years. I'm not surviving very well with the amount I receive. I think part of the reason is because of our young ages. We had another 25-30 years to add to Social Security. Are there any other resources available for my situation? I have to go days without food and was just diagnosed with diabetes. I'm not one who asks for help. My tax preparer didn't even charge me to do my taxes. She said the only thing she wanted from me is "To get some help" My income was only $4457 last year and has been since 2004. The income is a small amount of widow survivorship from my husband's work. My monthly check from disability is $1617. Any ideas ?
There is also Supplemental social security (SSI). It has limits for income and assets ($2000). It can give you extra income if you are aged, blind or disabled. That would be a possible idea if you qualify. See link for more info to see if you qualify: https://www.ssa.gov/ssi/ Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
SSI, PLEASE tell me more. I don't have a computer to look it up. I have less than $2000 in income. My checking account money is gone within a few days of receiving it. All of it is used to pay bills. I never have more than $50 in savings. I do have one stock left worth less than $7000-10000. Does that count as an asset?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My prescriptions cost me $400-550 a month.
This year the highest you can get from SSI is $733 for a single person and $1100 for a married couple. You can only have a limit of 2k in resources and limited income. You will need to call to apply, the link I provided will tell you if you are eligible.
Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
see link for more info: https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-11069.pdf
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All the information you provided in your responses are available in pamphlets at the Social Security office. I was giving you my specifics hoping to get individual answers. I'm not satisfied with your lack of information about my specifics.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
After the deed has been recorded. File lawsuit against the settlement agent to force the release of the commission.
I am sorry, but my post was meant for another post.