Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

PalmBeachResearchGroup, Delray, Florida, are all over, every

Customer Question
possible internet interjecting facts that...
PalmBeachResearchGroup, Delray, Florida, are all over, every possible internet interjecting facts that if you were born after l969 and you file by April, 30,2016, you have the option of poissibly qualifying for $4,000 additional in your monthly social security benefit and up to $60,000 over your lifetime. You must fill out APPROPRIATE FORMS FOR THIS ACTION TO TAKE PLACE. tHE WINDOW for this opportunity closes April 30th, no further chance of getting in. I'm looking in to how to get the proper documents, right away; possibly assistance in filling them out, where exactly to send them and, what Codes cover what the PalmBeachGroup are spreading through the country.
Thank you for your answer. I prefer a social security expert attorney. Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Social Security
4/23/2016
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 1 year ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Hi,...I can help here. This "research group" is (in this expert's opinion) exploiting a change in the Social Security Law that really affects only a small group of people....The 1969 piece is COMPLETELY erroneous, if intentional, a lie....The important ages here are those that are at least met the full retirement age of 66, and is not yet age 70....What this affects is what Congress deemed a "loophole" (and closed in last year's legislation) and what many others including financial planners called a filing strategy....April 30th is the first day of the new rules for Voluntary Suspensions, aka “File and Suspend”; the 29th is the final day to request a suspension under the old rules....There is one primary difference between the old and the new rules: if you suspend under the new rules, your spouse will be ineligible to claim spousal benefits while your benefit is in suspense....Whereas, if you have reached critical ages and can still file under the old rules, If you suspend your benefit, while your benefit is in suspense, spouses and other auxiliaries can still collect benefits based on your work record....That's it....The critical birth years are as follows:...For those age 66 or older by April 29th 2016 (said differently, born Apr 30th 1950 or earlier) the file & suspend strategy is still available, if you file for your Social Security benefits before Apr. 29th of this year....For those age 62 or older, in 2015 (said differently, born Jan 1st 1954 or earlier), (AND ELIGIBLE FOR SPOUSAL BENEFITS),the restricted application is still available at that person's full retirement age....I'm attaching a table that should clarify...…I hold a law degree (JD, Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, both for-profit and non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.
From an excellent article by Michael Kitces, a colleague:...Understanding The Soon-To-End File-And-Suspend Rules...In order for a spouse to be entitled to Social Security spousal benefits, the primary worker – upon whose earnings that spousal benefit will be calculated – must himself/herself have filed for benefits as well. In the ‘traditional’ family unit, this meant that the wife couldn’t get access to her spousal benefit until her husband actually filed for his own. When he got his retirement benefits, she became entitled to spousal benefits based on his record (which she could then claim if she was eligible based on her own age)....This ‘unification’ of retirement and spousal benefits – where couples cannot get either until the primary worker files for benefits – was the case for most of Social Security’s history… up until the Senior Citizens Freedom To Work Act in 2000. This legislation introduced, for the first time, the concept of “voluntary suspension”, where someone could file for benefits, and then later choose to suspend them (after reaching full retirement age) in order to accrue delayed retirement credits from suspension until the maximum age 70....While the original vision of voluntary suspension was for a worker who had started benefits early (e.g., at age 62) to change their mind later and stop benefits in order to go back to work (thus the “Freedom To Work” Act), in the years after the rule was enacted, commentators observed that voluntary suspension could happen immediately after someone filed, too. Of course, doing so would simply mean the worker would never get a single benefit check, but the advantage was that by filing, a spouse could become entitled to spousal benefits, while by immediately suspending, the original worker could still earn the maximum delayed retirement credits as well. It was a form of “have your cake, and eat it, too”....However, Congress viewed this File-And-Suspend Social Security tactic as an unintended consequence and a “loophole” of the voluntary suspension rule, given that in the system’s original framework, which had existed for decades, entitlement to spousal benefits was always supposed to coincide with the workers’ own retirement benefit (not be a scenario where you can get one while delaying the other)....Accordingly, in the fall of 2015, Congress enacted as a part of the Bipartisan Budget Act of 2015 a new rule to effectively “kill” the File-And-Suspend strategy, by stating that effective April 30 of 2016, a worker’s decision to suspend retirement benefits will suspend all benefits based on that individual’s earnings history, including spousal (and dependent) benefits. While voluntary suspension remains, this change renders the File-And-Suspend tactic totally useless, as now suspending really will be the equivalent of just having not filed at all....Notably, though, the new voluntary suspension rules under the Bipartisan Budget Act of 2015 apply only for those who try to (file-and-)suspend on or after April 30 of 2016. Which means there’s under two weeks remaining for anyone who wants to take advantage of the “old” rules to act, now, before it’s gone forever.
So, again, file-and-suspend (or voluntary suspension in general) is only available for those who are full retirement age (currently age 66). Which means if the retiree isn’t already 66 (and/or won’t be turning 66 by April 29), then file-and-suspend is off the table....Last year’s rule change took the option away before it was ever a chance....and of course, because the decision to file and suspend benefits is all about earning delayed retirement credits until age 70, it’s a moot point for anyone who is already age 70 or older (and would have started benefits already)....Hence, the consideration of whether to engage in file-and-suspend by the deadline is only relevant for those who are between the ages of 66 and 70.
I hope this has helped....Please let me know if you have any questions at all....If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the faces or stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit I know it takes an extra step, but JustAnswer won’t credit us for the work until you rate....Thank you!Lane……I hold a law degree (JD, Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, both for-profit and non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.
Did you see my answer?
Lane
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS