How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 2983
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife works . teachers retirement. she also receives

Customer Question

My wife works for ca. teachers retirement. she also receives soc.sec from previous employment. when she retires she will no longer be able to receive her own social security due to some ca. law. Our question is : when I die will she then be eligible to receive mine as my wife?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. What you are talking about is the windfall elimination provision (WEP) and this is not just a CA state law, it is a federal regulation. See link for explanation:, any survivor benefit she receives from you will be affected as well, but this time by the Government pension offset (GPO). See link for explanation: survivor benefit will be reduced by 2/3 of what she earns from her teacher's retirement pension. If the pension is significant it often means that the survivor benefit is reduced to nothing or almost nothing. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?