How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 12008
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband passed away when my daughter was 13, so she has

Customer Question

My husband passed away when my daughter was 13, so she has been receiving benefits. She turned 18 in January and will be graduating in May.
I was told that if she will be attending college, she can continue to receive benefits. Is this correct, and if so, what do we need to do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
That's correct. Here's what you'll need to do:...You must complete page 2 of form SSA-1372-BK, Student's Statement Regarding School Attendance; have a school official certify on page 3 the information you provide; leave pages 4 and 5, Notice of Cessation of Full-Time School Attendance, with the school official; and return the completed and certified pages 2 and 3 to your local Social Security office by mail or in person....Social Security generally considers a student to be in full-time attendance if he or she:Attends an elementary or secondary level school, as determined by the law of the State or other jurisdiction in which the school is located;Is enrolled in a day or evening non-correspondence course at least 13 weeks in duration;Is scheduled to attend at the rate of at least 20 hours weekly; andCarries a subject load considered full-time for day students under the school's standards and practices.
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
I hope this has helped....Please let me know if you have any questions at all....If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the faces or stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit I know it takes an extra step, but JustAnswer won’t credit us for the work until you rate....Thank you!Lane……I hold a law degree (JD, Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, both for-profit and non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.

Related Social Security Questions