How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 2981
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had to retire early because of a car accident. SS put me

Customer Question

I had to retire early because of a car accident. SS put me on widows benefits and had me apply for disability which has now been approved after 3 years. I was 62 1/2 when this all started. My question is can I withdraw from the disability claim and stay on the widows benefits until I turn 70 because right now disability would pay about 300 more a month but if I wait and switch over to mine at age 70 it would increase by about 600 more a month, 900 more then widows benefits. I am now 65 turning 66 in June my full retirement age.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. See link for SSDI home and all the information you need on SSDI: will simply call an SSDI rep and let them know that you want to cancel your benefits and simply elect to take the survivor benefits. Yes, you can request that your SSDI benefits stop and to take only the spousal benefit. You would then be able to delay taking your own benefit until age 70 like you said and increase your own benefit by 32% at mandatory retirement age. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?