How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 2982
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My grand daughters husband Bran***** ***** fell off a cliff

Customer Question

My grand daughters husband Bran***** ***** fell off a cliff and died a week ago. She is left with two boys aged 10 and 7. Can she get benefits from SS?? She really needs help?
Leland Mote ###-##-####
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. Yes, she can receive a survivor benefit if her husband was eligible for Social Security through his work history. If she is not age 60 (which is the minimum for survivor benefits for someone with no children), then she can collect survivor benefits if she has a qualifying child under the age of 16. Her benefits will cease once the youngest child turns 16 but again can get a survivor benefit at age 60 as well. The children can also receive a survivor benefit but the family will be subject to the SS family limit which is 150%-180% of the deceased spouse's benefit (this beneift will be calculated as if he reached full retirement age). See link for more info: Here is an SSA fort he percentages you will receive for you and the children: She will also receive a 1 time death benefit for $255. She cannot sign up for these benefits online. See link: "Widows, widowers, and surviving divorced spouses cannot apply online for survivors benefits. If they want to apply for disability benefits on your record, they should contact Social Security at1-***-***-**** to request an appointment. (If they are deaf or hard of hearing, they should call our TTY number, 1-***-***-****.)" Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?