How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 2981
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was married to a GS-12 lady from 1988 - 2004 whereupon we

Customer Question

I was married to a GS-12 lady from 1988 - 2004 whereupon we divorced. Are government employees subject to the deductions for Social Security?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. If the government employee has a pension and received that pension through income where that employee did not pay into Social Security, then that employee will be subject to the Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP). See link for full explanation: a percentage of the amount of the government pension will reduce her social security benefit. So to answer your question, yes, if the pension did not pay into SS then it would reduce her SS benefit. Here is a chart to ascertain the WEP reduction: Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?