How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37394
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds


Customer Question

MY HUSDAND AND i DIVORCEED AFTER 26 YEARS. WITHIN 2 WEEKS HE HAd PASSED AWAY.Can I draw any SSI or other benebits from him. He was in the Navy for a year, he worked at a company Procto Sile, The VA. employmeny commission, a company selling portrait packages. These are the ones I know of. His name Dennie Keith ****** DOB03/16/1950, SS####-##-####
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TexasAtty replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. You would have to look at the specific pension plans of the different companies to see if you can draw from them plus they should have been covered in your divorce.You may still be able to draw on his social security benefits. You can go to the SSA page at and see if you qualify to draw on his benefits. You meet the requirement as to amount of time you were married but there are a few other requirements.
Expert:  TexasAtty replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, we can't give more specific answers without more facts.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon, New professional here.I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry for your loss. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am going to ask that your question be transferred to our social security category and I can assist you from that category. I have been an attorney more than 3 decades and I handle social security issues. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please. 1. What is your present age?2. I presume that you are asking about an actual social security benefit and not an SSI benefit (which is a welfare benefit), right? Doug