How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37439
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I retired in 2005 from NY police. I was 55 yrs old and completed

Customer Question

I retired in 2005 from NY police. I was 55 yrs old and completed 38 yrs on the force rising to the rank of lt. I was told by SS that I would receive x amount of dollars per month.
at that time I informed SS that I will not work for 7 yrs and I was informed that what they said I would get. Well I applied for SS 2012 and my SS was 500 less per month than what they said I would receive. I was informed that I had not worked for 7 yrs and that reduced my payment. I just want to know if they made a mistake on my payment.
PS. I paid the max for 22 of my 38 years
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon Dave,I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. When social security gives you an estimate of your expected full retirement age benefit, that estimate includes the presumption that you will continue to work and earn the same amount of money until you 5each full retirement age. Because you didn't work those 7 years you lost all that possible credit and increase in your benefits. If a mistake was made, it was probably in the estimate that you were given 7 years ago. It is very easy to lose $500 of a social security benefit if you stop work for 7 years because each year that you pay in the maximum social security tax, you earn about $70 in additional benefits. If you didn't work those last 7 years, then you gave up about $500 in benefits. I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,Doug
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good evening,Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?Thanks in advance,Doug

Related Social Security Questions