LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I've been receiving SS benefits since 2003. In the years 2011-2013,

Customer Question

I've been receiving SS benefits since 2003. In the years 2011-2013, I paid SS taxes deducted from my salary. Can I get an increase in SS benefits based on these additional tax deductions?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon Alan,I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. Yes you can get an increase in your benefit based on post-retirement employment in which you pay more social security taxes, and you may have already been receiving them. Let me explain. Social security benefits are based on only the top 35 years of income in your lifetime---regardless of how many years you worked. If you worked less than 35 years total, then those years less than 35 would be deemed a $0 year. If when you took your retirement and continued to work you had less than 35years of earnings or any of the years’ post-retirement income placed that year in the top 35 category, then social security automatically would have increased your benefit. The reality is that an extra year for most folks makes very little difference and the amount is often hidden by the annual cost of living that is usually granted. For example, if you had a post-retirement year where you earned $50,000 and that was a NEW year of income because you had only 32 years, that $50,000 would translate to just about $17.00 per month increase to you. But if the $50,000year actually replaces a $30,000 year from 20 years ago, the amount of increase you would realize would be only about a $7.00 per month increase. If you believe that social security has not increased your benefits when you believe you did have a top 35 year or you earned more than one of the years already in the top 35, you can contact social security and ask them to recalculate your benefits. But because this is all done automatically each year by social security computers, there is only rarely an increase that is missed. You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.I wish you and yours the best in 2016,Doug
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I contact the SSA to find out whether the additional taxed earnings were factored, because the highest 35 years of income would have been my 38 years with Amoco Corporation?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
It is possible to pay social security taxes and receive no increase in benefits for those taxes. Social security only looks at your top 35 years of income. If you worked for more than those 35, unless one of those later years was higher than one of the 35, then none of those additional years would be counted or effect your benefit. You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.I wish you and yours the best in 2016,Doug
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good evening,Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?Thanks in advance,Doug