How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie O Joy, Esq Your Own Question
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13568
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Stephanie O Joy, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to boost my s/s.

Customer Question

I want to boost my s/s.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

There are a limited number of ways to increase SS benefit - and they cost us, in return for a later boost. Would you like me to go over them with you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if it means it could help. I started my s/s when I was 62, I am 78 now.
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

OK, you are not able to use the easiest ways to boost it - they include:

1) Waiting til full retirement age or OLDER, up to age 70, to start collecting at all. ----- You are too late for this.

2) If one did start early (opting for a lower amount in exchange for more months paid), stopping/suspending that benefit once one is of full retirement age (66), until one is 70. ---- Unfortunately, you are too late for this one also. You already collected 8 X 12 = 96 extra payments that you wouldn't have gotten had you delayed til age 70.

Depending on your prior or current marital situation, and how the numbers work, you could also:

1) If you are married, look into whether you are eligible for a more favorable spousal benefit

2) If you WERE married but divorced, and the marriage was at least 10 years, look to see if there is a more favorable divorced spouse benefit you could switch to.

3) If any prior spouse is deceased, and he/she either died when you were married to him/her or after divorce (and you were married at least 10 years), you can get 100% of his/her benefit, if bigger than your own (and switch to it)..

That leaves one rare method left, which won't work for many people, only some people. It may work for you:

*If you don't have 35 years of strong work income, but can work now for 1 or more years, to get closer to 35 years of strong income (upon which you pay SS taxes), you can increase your benefit. The further you are away from 35 strong years of income, the more impact all new years of income will have on your benefit.

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!