LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I was caregiver husband years before he passed

Customer Question

I was caregiver for my husband for seven years before he passed in 2002. He had multiple myeloma, throat and lung cancer. I only receive a portion of his Social Security monthly, which amounts to less than half of the average benefits paid by Social Security. I wonder if there is a retroactive benefit for caregivers to which I may be eligible. Please advise me.
You may email me at: ***@******.***.
Thank you for your assistance.
Olga R. *****
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon Olga,I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. Social Security does not have a plan that pays caregivers, past or present. You are entitled to a social security retirement benefit based on work you have done in your life, or a social security survivor benefit equal to the benefit that your husband was receiving or eligible to receive, as of the date of his death. Those are the only two social security benefits open to you. I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,Doug
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This answer doesn't match what some websites state about caregiver's Social Security pay. I see I'll have to search for details elsewhere. Please do not contact me by phone or by email. We are finished. I thank you for the answer you gave me, although it is unsatisfactory.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon, I empathize with your frustration, but my answer to you is 100% correct. I have been handling social security legal issues for 30 years. Social security does NOT pay caregivers. They never have---regardless of what you may have read.http://www.geeksonfinance.com/info_8577951_social-security-benefits-caregiver-elderly.html I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,Doug