How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask keeperumiami Your Own Question
keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 7114
Experience:  Sr Tax Expert/Financial PlannerCPA/PFS (retired)Over forty years of advising individuals & small businesses
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
keeperumiami is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am on full retirement age (66). I am employed full time.

Customer Question

I am on full retirement age (66). I am employed full time. This job is very stressful and I constantly feel much pressure . Can I apply for disability?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon Johnnie,I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. While it is possible that you could make a stress claim with workers' compensation and collect temporary disability benefits for workers' compensation, social security disability is only payable to people who are less than full retirement age and disabled. You are only eligible to apply for your social security retirement benefit at this point in time. You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.I wish you and yours the best in 2016,Doug
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Hi Johnnie, There appears to be an issue with your phone call request. Please contact customer service at(###) ###-####to clear up the issue.Doug
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  keeperumiami replied 1 year ago.
You requested another answer to your question so I am responding. If you are asking about Social Security Disability, the previous expert has given you the correct answer. Once you reach full retirement age, even if you were already receiving Social Security Disability benefits, your benefits would automatically be reclassified to retirement benefits.If you aren't referring to Social Security Disability, please clarify what your question is.Thanks very much,Steve G.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand that I cannot apply for disability from Social Security. I am contemplating filing for disability from my job. I was asking if I do apply for disability from my job, will have any affect on my Social Security benefit I am receiving?
John G.
Expert:  keeperumiami replied 1 year ago.
Absolutely not. I don't know the terms of any disability policy that may be available but if for some reason you received a non-taxable disability benefit rather than your earned income, then the only affect on your Social Security Retirement benefit would be a possible reduction or elimination of the income tax on your Social Security.Steve G.