How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 2983
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am on Social Security Disability. I have an opportunity to

Customer Question

I am on Social Security Disability. I have an opportunity to work. And would like to do it. Work is temporary. How can I go about working and not interrupting my social security or without jeopardizing me with legal problems. Glen Collins(###) ###-####
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. You can sign up for a trial work period with social security. The trial work period allows you to test your ability to work for at least nine months. During your trial work period, you’ll receive your full Social Security benefits regardless of how muchyou’re earning as long as you report your work, and you continue to have a disability. In 2016, a trial work month is any month your total earnings are over $810. If you’re self-employed, you have a trial work month when you earn more than $810 (after expenses) or work more than 80 hours in your own business. The trial work period continues until you have worked ninemonths within a 60-month period. After your trial work period, you have 36 months during which you can work and still receive benefits for any month your earnings aren’t “substantial.” In 2016, social security considers earnings over $1,130 ($1,820 if you’re blind) to be substantial. During a trial work period, a new application or disability decision aren’t necessary to get your Social Security disability benefit. So you can work but if you earn more than $810 in 9 months out of 60 and then earn "substantial earnings" over $1130 then you will lose your benefits. So if this work is temporary, you should still be able to keep your benefits, but if it goes beyond 9 months, you have the possibility of losing your benefits. See link fro SSA website on disability and working: Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?