How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

SS, I have not received my benefits months. Where is

Customer Question

SS, I have not received my benefits for 3 months. Where is my money?
My new acct at Whitney bank is **********. Olde accts were *************and anothwer old acct was********. Rte # *****###-##-####for all accts. Please, please, please, GIVE ME MY MONEY. I'm starving to death. Thank you kindly, Anna Marie Piazza. SS# *********.
Anna M
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Hi Anna, I answer this exact question for you yesterday evening. I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. You appear to think that you have contacted the social security administration. You have not reached the social security administration, but instead you have contacted the site JustAnswer. I help people like you understand social security rules and regulations but I do not work for Social Security and I cannot process the change of accounts that you need. If you cannot get out of your home because of your medical condition, then there are two other ways to notify social security that you have a new bank account. Let me explain. If you have not yet notified social security if your new bank account you must do so immediately. And if you believe you have notified them---chances are extremely high that you provided a mistaken routing number for the new account. If you already are receiving benefits, you can create a My Social Security Online Account and start or change Direct Deposit online. If you don’t already have an account,you can easily create one. You can open your own social security online account and see your earnings statement, estimated retirement benefit, change bank accounts and much more, in about 15 minutes through this site: you are already receiving Social Security and or Supplemental Security Income benefits through direct deposit, then you may change the account the deposit is posted to by calling 1 (800) SSA-1213(1-***-***-****). The representative will be able to assist you in getting the change made to your account. You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.I wish you and yours the best in 2016,Doug
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good evening,Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?Thanks in advance,Doug