How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 2982
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 67 years old working full time and receiving ss benefits.

Customer Question

I am 67 years old working full time and receiving ss benefits. My wife is 63 1/2 yrs old and working full time. Is she eligible to receive a portion of my ss benefits now and then receive her full benefit from what she has earned when she turns 66?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. Unfortunately, no this is not possible. She is eligible to take a spousal benefit as long as you have elected to take yours, but it does not work the way you laid out. What you want to do is called a restricted application. This cannot be done until full retirement age. If you turned age 62 be the end of December 31, 2015, she would be grandfathered in and at full retirement age she will still be able to restrict her benefit. This means that if she would like to elect to take only the spousal benefit as opposed to her normal retirement benefit, she can restrict her election to ONLY the spousal benefit. This would allow her to collect the 50% spousal benefit while still gaining credits to her normal retirement benefit from ages 66-70 (the credit increases her benefit approximately 8% per year). If she tries to take the spousal benefit at early retirement age, she would have to take the higher of the spousal benefit and her retirement benefit. You cannot choose just the spousal and let her normal retirement benefit grow while still take the spousal benefit and then elect to take the normal retirement benefit at age 66. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?