How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 2983
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

And I am 63 years old. My husband

Customer Question

My name is Annie *** and I am 63 years old. My husband Peter (67) is currently receiving his Social Security. I understand that I can elect to receive half of his Social Security under the "File & Suspend" benefit. To discus this option I would like to make an appointment with the Pasadena, CA SSA-office. Can I do this online?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I understand that this special option is available to me (Grandfathered) until April 29-2016. This date is approaching fast so I like to proceed ASAP.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Retirement Accountant about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. You can, but it will be reduced for the early retirement penalty. At your age you cannot choose to only take the spousal benefit, you must also take your normal retirement benefit. Both benefits will be reduced by early retirement. The spousal benefit at age 62 is reduced to 32.5% and moves up to 50% at age 66 and your normal retirement benefit is reduced by 30% at age 62 and climbs to the full 100% at age 66. You will n ot be able what you want to do which is to take only the spousal benefit and change to your own until age 66. You can do something similar to this at age 66 which is called the restricted benefit. This loophole is going away by HR 1314 but you are grandfathered in if you turned age 62 by December 31, 2015. You can file a restricted application after this time and it MUST be done at full retirement age (age 66). You will take only the spousal benefit and let your own benefit grow at 8% per year until age 70 for a total increase of 325 at age 70, You would then switch to your own increased benefit at that time and take the spousal benefit the whole time. Here's how to apply online: Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?