How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie O Joy, Esq Your Own Question
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13564
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Stephanie O Joy, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an 88year old widow andhad been receiving my monthly social

Customer Question

I am an 88year old widow andhad been receiving my monthly social security incom checks of $1,667.10 and in January, 2016 my social security amount was DECREASED to $1,585.10.WHY??? This is a DECREASE of just under $1,000 per year! Please explain.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me your ball park income in 2013 and 2014?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have any of my previous records available.
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is***** and I am here to assist you. I am a social security attorney in my private practice – that is ALL I do. Please let me know that my post here is coming through for you by typing a quick reply. I would call or fax the same worker you spoke with. You can also follow up with a letter confirming what he told you, mailed certified return receipt so you get the green card back. This is how I'd start. Please know that generally, whenever there is a cog in the SSA wheel, which is fairly common in my experience, it takes MANY months of politely nagging and even involvement by one's Congressperson (who can make a "congressional inquiry"). Given that your problem is 6 months old AND 4 weeks after the agent said it should be resolved, I'd likely go to my Congressman's website and click the link for "help with a federal agency." Start there. Historically, until THIS year, ironically, I have always had success within 2-4 weeks. Not this year, however, as 2 outstanding cogs - 1 resolved after 5 months of the Congressman's team helping, and the other is still not fixed. But in any event, it nonetheless helps to have some politics at work. It is a pretty bad state of affairs right now at the SSA - in my opinion. Clerical errors always to the detriment of the claimant, beneficiary (or attorney) occur routinely. Yes, routinely. And it is getting a live, unlazy body in front of the issue that is so hard, with an agency that apparently has no accountability. For instance, if you are owed money, be sure that once you get paid, there will be no interest paid on YOUR money - yet certainly the SSA made interest on your money - and will keep it. It makes you wonder if the SSA has an incentive to purposely delay payments, no? Anyway, as stated, while you CAN right to the OIG and file a complaint perhaps about fraud or waste, I find that the next best thing to sending repeated requests is to get your Congressperson's assistance. I DO wish there were an office in the SSA that holds that administration accountable for its errors, but as of yet, not. Yet another thing to contact our legistlators about.
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it. Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.Your online SS legal resource!
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Ouch, OK, my apologies, it looks like the system flipped one answer into your thread. Please ignore it. I will go find YOUR answers and post it as soon as I can.
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.
I realize you don't have your tax returns in front of you. But this would confirm or eliminate ONE potential reason for the decrease in net payment. So, if you could... in 2014, did you have a much higher income than usual? Such as capital gains, sale of home, etc? Anything markedly different in 2014?
Expert:  ShawnA replied 1 year ago.
I can show you how to get SS information. That will help answer your 2013 and 2014 SS received as well as finding out what has happened. I'll call you. Please do not post any personal; information. Keep it private from the identity thieves.
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Urgent! There is just one more step needed, so thank you for finishing up! Hello again. It is month end -Please, if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because it is the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being. If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receive credit from the Site for contributing our time here! Sincerely,Stephanie O. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional