How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lev-tax Your Own Question
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 29930
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
lev-tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm 68 y/o, I have 40 credits from past employers. But when

Customer Question

I'm 68 y/o, I have 40 credits from past employers. But when i went to apply for SS they said since i worked for San Bernardimo County & have a retirememt from them ($2700 a mo) I'm not going to get anything, 'maybe' $100 a mo from SS?? Can i get SS from my previous employment?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.
If you work for a federal, state or local government agency, a nonprofit organization or in another country, you may be eligible for a pension based on earnings not covered by Social Security.A pension based on earnings not covered by Social Security can affect the amount of your Social Security benefit. We do not know whether you are eligible for such a pension, so the benefit estimates you have received may not have been adjusted for such a possibility.
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.
.If you think your pension will affect your Social Security benefit, you canLook at our WEP chart to see how WEP affects Social Security benefits.Use our WEP Online Calculator or download our Detailed Calculator to see how your benefit may be reduced by WEP..I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all tax related issues.