Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

I am on disability can i get social security when i turn 65

Customer Question
along with disability...
i am on disability can i get social security when i turn 65 along with disability
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Social Security
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/15/2016
Social Security Expert: LawTalk, Attorney replied 1 year ago
LawTalk, Attorney
Good afternoon,I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please. 1. What disability benefits are you being paid now? SSI, SSDI, State disability, private disability insurance, employer paid disability benefits? Doug
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am not quite sure what it is .Iknow it is from the government.I think it is SSI
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i think it is SSI
Hi, SSI is welfare and paid only of you have assets less than $2000 and very low income---typically less than about $15000 per year. SSDI is social security disability insurance which you earn by working and paying into social security. Can you now tell me what benefit you get?Doug
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i have SSDI
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ihave SSDI
Good morning, Thank you for the confirmation. Under social security laws, a person is only entitled to one social security benefit at a time. What that means is that when you choose to take retirement---if you do so before your full retirement age (66)----then you will no longer qualify for SSDI. You actually don't have to do anything because at age 66 your SSDI benefit will automatically end and social security will switch your benefit to your retirement benefit. But it is not possible to collect both SSDI and a social security retirement benefit at the same time. I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,Doug
Good evening,Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?Thanks in advance,Doug
LawTalk, Attorney