Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

Wants to calcite ss benifi. I have only 30 credit of work,

Customer Question

Wants to calcite ss benifi. I have only 30 credit of work, if I work for another 10 credit will I be better off then dependent( spouse behalf) benefit!
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. This all depends on too many factors that I do not have access to. It will depend on the amount of the benefit that you would like to base your spousal benefit off of (it will be a maximum 50% of that benefit). It is likely that if that spousal benefit is significant then it will be higher than a benefit with only 40 credits (approximately 10 years of work). SS factors in 35 years of work in it formula and averages in 0 for years that are unused (you would have around 25 years of 0 factored in). It depends on how much money you made during these years but it is likely that your benefit will be quite small so if the spousal benefit is on the larger side, it will probably be higher than your own retirement benefit under the circumstances you provided. it is really hard to tell though. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Spouse benefit is also based on 10 year work and early retirement,which is $921per month which my husband is receiving at present. So I think my benefit could be higher at my full retirement age. So can you tell me how much benefit I will get by putting in 10 more credits?
That is impossible to know as you could be earning the maximum amount for those benefits in a year. In 2016 you need to earn $1260 dollars in a quarter to receive 1 credit. If you earn the minimum, your amount will not go up much, if you earn like $250,000 then it will go up significantly. It is really hard to tell or even guess at how much it would increase your benefit. Your spousal benefit would be around $450 depending on at what age you retire, so I would guess that your benefit will be close to the amount of your husband, but again it depends on how much you earn. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have earning record of 30 credits. My 30 credits started in 1979 and ended in 1989. I earned no credits since 1990. If I plan to earn $5000 per year for the next 3 years (2016-2018) , what would my benefit be at full retirement age? I will be at retirement age in July 2018.
Again I cannot give you exact numbers because I do not have complete information I would guess it would be somewhere between 500 and $1,000 per month depending on how much you earned during those years probably closer to the $500 mark possibly less.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I give you the earning records for those years (earning for those 30 credit quarter) then can you give me a more specific estimate? I really need this estimate in order to make future decisions. Thanks.
That is way beyond the scope for this question, the site is very strict with us and that would be an additional service that would require additional funds. I can make a request if you would like but that would cost an additional $80.
Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?