How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 12459
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I owned a double-wide mobile and lot and qualified ,

Customer Question

If I owned a double-wide mobile and lot and qualified for SSI, then the City condemned the home and I moved to a apartment (government housing) about a year ago. The City tore down the home and just removed the debris. Can I sell the land and pay on a funeral plan for myself and not be cut off SSI
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
I'm so sorry to be the messenger here, but they are very strict about the use of this kind of money. ...Essentially they will take whatever amount of money you have (that WASN'T spent on the allowable items) and divide that into the benfit and SSI will stop for that period of time....Here are some examples of things that you could spend the money on and shorten the penalty:funeral expensestravel costs related to illnessrepair of a vehicle;payment of day to day living costsmedical needsclothing housing needs, including payment to prevent an eviction or foreclosurepayment of utility bills to prevent a disconnection.It is not enough to put aside money for these expenses. You must actually spend the money. You can also not pay bills ahead of time....There are also strict reporting requirements, so that they can determine if you spending is excludable or not....See this from Social Security:...
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
I should also add ... sometimes you can report the attempt to sell and then the sale itself sale and they will continue ... and they will continue the benefits and then do an analysis to see what amount of payback can be reduced by qualified spending
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
FROM SSA:...WHAT KINDS OF THINGS CAN I SELL?You can sell the following types of things:real property, such as land or a house that you don't live in; orpersonal property, such as non–excluded vehicles (for example, a second car).HOW DOES THIS WORK?While you are trying to sell real property, you can receive SSI benefits for up to 9 months under certain conditions.While you are trying to sell personal property, you can receive SSI benefits for up to 3 months.We may pay you even longer if you meet certain conditions.WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO?Your conditional benefits cannot begin until after you sign the “agreement to sell property” form and we accept the agreement. You also have to demonstrate that you are diligently pursuing the sale of the property.The agreement form is available at your local Social Security office. Ask us for more details.WHAT HAPPENS AFTER I SELL MY REAL AND/OR PERSONAL PROPERTY?You will have to pay back some or all of the SSI benefits you received while trying to sell the property.You may continue to get SSI benefits. Contact your local Social Security office to find out if your SSI benefits will continue after the sale.
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
I hope this has helped....Please let me know if you have any questions at all....If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the faces or stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit I know it take an extra step, but JustAnswer won’t credit us for the work until you rate....Thank you!Lane……I hold a law degree (JD, Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, both for-profit and non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.