Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I will be 68 years old this September, self employed in my

Customer Question

I will be 68 years old this September, self employed in my own business, divorced with 3 adult daughters but I have a seven year old daughter from my girlfriend. I wanted to file for social security benefits for me and my daughter as a dependent now so I can put her money to a 529 Educational trust. I don't need money now for me and I wanted to file and suspend the benefits till I'm 70. Can my daughter start receiving her money if I suspend mine?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, she can. However, you must file and suspend before April 30, 2016 in order for your daughter to receive benefits under your earnings. For more information, click on the link below: https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/suspend.html Kindly give a positive rating to my post so that I can receive credit for answering your question—so that part of the deposit that you already paid to the site can be transferred to me. You are not charged extra for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.