How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 15747
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A taxpayer worked enough in the US to become eligible a small

Customer Question

A taxpayer worked enough in the US to become eligible a small amount of SS Benefits. She was an US Citizen, married a Canadian, and now has dual citizenship. She has live in Canada approximately 40 years. What is her US Tax responsibility
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
HelloHer US tax responsibility would be to report all her income for US tax. A US citizen is still required to continue to file and report their worldwide income.It may be that their income is below the filing requirement. They would not have to file a return.If they have any accounts outside the US that have $10,000 or more on any day in the year, they would have to report that account even of they did not have to file an actual tax return.Unless a US citizen renounces their citizenship their reporting does not change.You are required to click a positive rating if I am to be credited with the response.You have to actively click on a rating and click submit. Smiley Faces or Stars.