How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PDtax Your Own Question
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 4678
Experience:  35 years tax and professional advice in all matters money
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
PDtax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I will be 68 in June. I would like to FILE Security

Customer Question

I will be 68 in June. I would like to FILE for Social Security benefits, but then SUSPEND payment of those benefits until I am 70. I understand that I can to this without affecting the amount that would be paid to me starting at age 70. Can you confirm that this is correct? I would like to do this online. Can you direct me how to do this? Thanks.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.
Hi from Just Answer. I'mCustomer I'll assist. You can do this, and it does not reduce your benefit starting at age 70. You can make this application online. SSA is informal about the suspension request; you can make the request in writing, orally (at an SSA office) or online. To do so online, sign up on the SSA website ( When you complete an online application and type under the “Remarks” tab, “Please suspend my benefits.” Keep a printed copy of your application, and submit it before April 30, 2016 if you can. That is the deadline for the more liberal file and suspend rules. Thanks for asking at just Answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'mCustomer