Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

I cannot live on Social Secuiity. Is there any benefit I can

Customer Question

I cannot live on Social Secuiity. Is there any benefit I can apply for before they close the loopholes?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more so we can help you best.
Customer: i WORKED FOR 40 YEARS AND MY HUSBAND AND I HAVE BEEN MARRIED FOR ALMOST 58 YEARS. HE IS ILL WITH DEMENTIA AND PARKINSONS AND IN LONG TERM CARE HOME AND WILL NEVER COME OUT. I HAD TO SPEND ALL MOSY SAVINGS UNTIL WE COULD GET HIM ON MEDICAID. SIMPLY PUT, I CANNOT LIVE ON SOCIAL SECURITY ALONE. I HAVE LOOKED FOR 3 MONTHS FOR WORK BUT NO ON4E WILL HIRE ME. I DON'T LOOK MY AGE AND BESIDES I CAN SPEAK TO PEOPLE AND NOT HAVE MY HEAD IN A PHONE. I WAS TOLD BY A NEIGHBOR THAT THERE ARE LOOPHOLES IN THE ss LAWS THAT BENEFIT THOSE THAT ARE AWARE OF THEM. IS THERE ANY HELP FOR ME?
JA: Anything else I can tell the Retirement Accountant before I connect you two?
Customer: LIKE WHAT?
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Retirement Accountant about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. At you age (I am assuming you are over age 70) these loopholes do not apply to you. It will neither hurt nor help you. There has been a lot of misinformation out there regarding HR 1314. The changes made in the bipartisan act are being hyped in the media but it is only a small loophole that is being closed. It is not a magical lump sum that has to be elected or banned benefits that you will lose. It deals with "file and suspend" spousal benefits and the "restricted benefit". Let me explain, a spouse can only take the spousal benefit if the other spouse has elected to take their benefit. Currently the law is changing and a "suspend and file" cannot be elected starting on may 1, 2016. In this circumstance at full retirement age (66) one could file and suspend their benefits and continue earning credits until age 70 and their spouse could elect to take the spousal benefit. The spousal benefit can be as much as half of the worker's "primary insurance amount," depending on the spouse's age at retirement. If the spouse begins receiving benefits before "normal (or full) retirement age," the spouse will receive a reduced benefit. However, if a spouse is caring for a qualifying child, the spousal benefit is not reduced. Also the "restricted benefit" is being eliminated. If you turned age 62 be the end of December 31, 2015, you would be grandfathered in and at full retirement age you will still be able to restrict your benefit. This means that if you or your spouse would like to elect to take only the spousal benefit as opposed to your normal retirement benefit, you can restrict your election to ONLY the spousal benefit. This would allow you to collect the 50% spousal benefit while still gaining credits to your normal retirement benefit from ages 66-70 (the credit increases your benefit approximately 8% per year). After the law changes, at full retirement age, you would have to take the higher of the spousal benefit and your retirement benefit. You can no longer choose just the spousal and let your normal retirement benefit grow while still take the spousal benefit. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WHAT IS FAASF?
"filing as a spouse first" This will not help you if you or your spouse are over the age of 70 as you are at mandatory retirement age and you can restrict your benefit as you have to take your retirement according to SSA regulations. The lower-earning spouse files to receive Social Security benefits based on his or her own earnings history. That brings in some Social Security income to help the couple meet their financial needs, but it also allows the higher-earning spouse's eventual monthly benefit to continue to grow. Where FAASF comes in is when the higher-earning spouse reaches full retirement age. At that point, the higher-earning spouse can file as a spouse first, restricting his or her application to spousal benefits only. That preserves the growth of the higher earner's own Social Security benefit, and typically, the higher earner waits until reaching age 70 before claiming a benefit based on his or her own work history. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?