How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 2983
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband passed away inJuly of 1992, My two children colected

Customer Question

my husband passed away inJuly of 1992, My two children colected his social secrity until they were 18 can I collect as his widow now ornot
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. If you are at least age 60 and have not remarried (or at least remarried before age 60) then you can collect a survivor benefit. This benefit is 100% of your spouse's benefit at full retirement age (age 66 in 2016). It can be a useful planning mechanism to take a survivor benefit until age 70 which will allow your normal retirement benefit to grow to its max at that age. Understand that these benefits do not stack and you only receive the higher of the two benefits (or at least which one you elect to take). If you meet these requirements then to answer your question, yes. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?