How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 5156
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am turning 70 in a week. I have a retirement from a state

Customer Question

I am turning 70 in a week. I have a retirement from a state retirement pension and from my late husband which is under the government widow benefits.
I have been married to my current husband coming up in 13 years. could I qualify for some kind of benefits.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  dylatess replied 1 year ago.
That depends as you can collect from either husband. However, you are only entitled to the higher of the two benefits and you cannot combine benefits. Likewise, since you second marriage is over ten years and you di not remarry after age 60, go to any SS office and bring your second marriage certificate/license. SS will then compare the two benefits and determine which was you are entitled to. I wish you well