How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 5156
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was born in 1950, and my citizenship certificate shows I

Customer Question

I was born in 1950, and my citizenship certificate shows I was born in 1950. However, the SS records have me born in 1951. I tried to apply for Medicare online but cannot proceed with my correct year of birth (1950). What must I do to have the SS records corrected?
Ernesto Maldonado SS *********
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  dylatess replied 1 year ago.
you need to go to any SS office. This cannot be done by phone or mail. And present your citizen certificate. They will make a copy of it and send to to the SSA in Virginia which corrects such errors. You will then receive a notice of award that says you are eligible to apply for medicare. this takes about 8 weeks. I wish you well.