How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lev-tax Your Own Question
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 29575
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
lev-tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can the minor child of a Permanent Resident (came on a k-1

Customer Question

Can the minor child of a Permanent Resident (came on a k-1 visa, got her green card) get a SSN#? Do they need a USCIS Adjustment of Status or do they qualify as a child of a permanent resident? I am a US Citizen by birth so technically he is my stepson.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.
You do need an adjustment of status for the child to qualify for SSN.
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.
However - you still may claim that child on your tax return - but if the child is not eligible for SSN - you woudl need to apply for ITIN,but still may claim that child as a dependent.However with ITIN - the child would not qualify for some deductions and credits..I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all tax related issues.