How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask keeperumiami Your Own Question
keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 7119
Experience:  Sr Tax Expert/Financial PlannerCPA/PFS (retired)Over forty years of advising individuals & small businesses
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
keeperumiami is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm 61 years old and a retired secondary science teacher. I

Customer Question

I'm 61 years old and a retired secondary science teacher. I suffer from early stage COPD and a sleep disorder. Both conditions are diagnosed, however it makes it difficult to do any extended work due to fatigue. Some days are better than others, but I never know in advance when they will be. Most days I'm limited to short spans of energy (mowing my lawn as an example). I've applied to SS twice and rejected twice although I've had this complaint to Drs. over many years. My preference would be to go back to work, but I can't see that happening. What can I do to make my case? Would a Doctor's agreement with mine be enough?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  keeperumiami replied 1 year ago.
If you've been rejected twice, it's time to see a Social Security lawyer to represent you. They work with Social Security all the time and know how to put a package together to support your situation. What you are going through is the normal process of how it works for someone not on their deathbed or having serious mental problems. Maybe if you get rejected another time you'll qualify under that criteria.Whether you have a good change of being approved really depends upon the quality of your medical and work history. So, the more you have been able to overcome your problems and work, the least likely you are to be approved. On the other hand, in another year you will qualify for a reduced benefit and if you chose to take that, you can still pursue the disability claim. That's where a Social Security attorney that practices in your area can give you an honest assessment of your chances of getting approved.

Related Social Security Questions