Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

Inquiry on full retirement benefit at age 70plus.

Customer Question

Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is***** and I am here to assist you. I am a social security attorney in my private practice – that is ALL I do. Please let me know that my post here is coming through for you by typing a quick reply.Can you be more specific with regard to your situation and question about such benefits?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The SS law that about to closed on April 29, 2016 have a provision for a divorced person to be able to file for extra SS income at the age of 70 plus. tnak you
Actually this has not changed. If one is eligible for a divorced spouse benefit, he/she can still do it. The end of month change concerns how a suspension of benefits will also suspend our dependents taking on our record. But if you are 70 and a divorced spouse benefit is more lucrative than a benefit you are currently taking, then you can still apply for it and switch to that benefit instead of your own. This was true before and is true now.
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gottenanything less, please reply back, I amhappy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it. Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.Your online SS legal resource!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please give an approximate benefits to change my eligibility to switch to age 70 full retirement age. I am 75 now and start my SS at age 62 and received $1500.00 monthly.. Thank you..
Pardon? I do not understand. If you collect 1500 on your own record, despite the 30% reduction you opted for by taking at 62, you will only want to take a divorced spousal benefit IF it is higher than 1500 (that would be rare, since it is only a 50% or less of the ex's benefit). You can't redo the past, either. By taking at 62, and never stopping them, you were able to secure 96 extra payments of 1500 that you would not have been able to collect had you deferred until you were 70. That is not a bad amount of extra cash. But the downside is that you accepted the reduced amount so that those 96 payments could be made to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the solution i can take to received higher than $1500.00, i understand i opted to retire at age 62 and received 96 payments during that time. My intent is to add another 20% to received full retirement at age 75, not retro-active . Thank you..
There is no such rule with SSA, unfortunately. There is no benefit to be gained by reaching 75, at least from an SS benefit standpoint. The highest age that can be part of a strategy for claiming, is age 70 - and that is ONLY if you suspend your benefits (or defer them) prior to 70, so that you can increase your benefit rate 80% over that which you got at 62. But, you took the benefits at 62 and didn't defer them, so this is not an option for you.(If you have been reading of alluring ads for articles claiming that, then you have seen some of the scamsters that have been plaguing the internet for months now, ever since a new law stopping some benefits from being an option, was passed by President Obama in Oct/Nov 2015, with part of that law effective on 5/1/16. The con artists have been trying to get readers to by the e-book or article they allude to, ).
Urgent! There is just one more step needed, so thank you for finishing up! Hello again. It is month end -Please, if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because it is the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being. If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receive credit from the Site for contributing our time here! Sincerely,Stephanie O. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional