How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Angie Your Own Question
Angie, Tax Preparer
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 226
Experience:  Bookkeeping, Profit and Loss, Balance SheetsAll types of US Taxes, Tennessee taxes, Personal, business, payroll, sales tax etc.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Angie is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am retired,68 years I pay federal taxes on my

Customer Question

I am retired,68 years I pay federal taxes on my benefits.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Angie replied 1 year ago.
In order to answer your question, I need to know what kind of benefits you are receiving. If you only receive social security, you do not have to file a tax return. If you have other sources of income you may need to file.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My wife and I both receive monthly pensions where we pay federal and state withholding. My wife also receives a small amount each year from for substitute teaching.The total amount of our pension is $46,215.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also we had a small distribution from an IRAfor which we had withholding held.
Expert:  Angie replied 1 year ago.
You do need to file a tax return. Your benefits are taxable.
Expert:  Angie replied 1 year ago.
If this answers your question, please take a moment to rate my service to you. If you need additional information or clarification on anything feel free to respond.